Thursday, July 8, 2010

Jenn Grinels and Rhea Maklaris

A few weeks ago, I went to a small, private rooftop show featuring Jenn Grinels and a few other female singer-songwriters. Now, I have to admit I was a little skeptical because it takes a lot for singer-songwriters to impress me (there are just so many of them, and many of them may be talented, but they all start to sound the same to me after a while). However, I was pleasantly impressed.  A sassy redhead, Jenn has a naturally gorgeous voice that is completely captivating. My favorite songs of hers had a heavy jazz influence, though she had some lovely ballads and even a few numbers that were fairly rock 'n' roll, as well. Unfortunately my very favorite song of hers (also jazz influenced) is one that is still unfinished and so is not on her album. But she said she is going to finish the song this summer, so I hope she does because I would love to have a recorded copy. But really that was the only downside of the night.

Slingshot [mp3] - ( Amazon / iTunes )

The other artist I saw that night was Rhea (full name: Rhea Maklaris), who is based here in NYC. She also has a great voice, very powerful and organic. She had a little bit more of a rockin' country blues sound, which I highly enjoyed. She also seems like one of the nicest people ever. She and Jenn did some songs together, and they made a great pair. All in all it was a really good night.

No comments: