Friday, July 9, 2010

An Eclectic Selection for Your Weekend

This is apparently old news, but I had never heard of Delorean until I started noticing them on NYC event listings earlier this summer, and I still hadn't heard their music until I saw them Wednesday night, at a chilled out free show in the courtyard of a housing development. I had always been curious about how well these rock bands that emulate dance music on their records (i.e. Cut Copy, Primal Scream and the Madchester scene) actually sound live. I'm happy to know that they can sound very, very good. Delorean plays a sold-out show tomorrow night at Bowery Ballroom.

Delorean - Simple Graces [mp3] - (iTunes)

Bangladeafy! is a local bass-and-drums duo that I caught at a Fourth of July party in Brooklyn. They play a technical, high-speed, punk- and metal-derived rock music that requires drinking a lot of Gatorade and toweling off after each song. After some genre research, I'm most comfortable calling it "crossover thrash." It's best played loud.

Bangladeafy! - Burn the Witches [mp3]

Lastly, I watched The Slammin' Salmon the other night, which was somewhat funny but a general disappointment. But I did enjoy the song that played over the closing credits. It turned out to be "Mamasita" by Latin Soul Syndicate, a San Francisco group that seems to largely support itself with soundtrack appearances. (They've also been heard in The Sopranos and The Devil Wears Prada.) A fun track for your dog days of summer.

Latin Soul Syndicate - Mamasita (Adventures Mix) [mp3] - (Amazon)

1 comment:

kartini said...

Nice selection! Thanks :)