Sunday, January 24, 2010

Twin Sister @ Monkeytown

Yesterday was quite the day for me music-wise. I interviewed Marc of Nouvelle Vague, went to their awesome show at Webster Hall (more on that later this week when I have time to get all the pictures uploaded and the video interview together) and then headed out to Williamsburg to check out Twin Sister at Monkeytown.

Apparently, they all met at a house party in the early 2000's. Many of them were in different bands at the time, that all played at this house party. A friend of mine also happened to be at that party, and that's how I ended up in Williamsburg last night to check them out. This same friend told me - nay, promised me - that they would blow me away. Unfortunately, when people set things up like that, they rarely end up living up to expectations (also part of the reason I don't like Harry Potter or Star Wars).

While I was definitely not blown away, I did enjoy the show. They're the Michael Cera of bands - they're hip (but not too hip) and lovable but a little awkward in an endearing/adorable way. Also like Michael Cera, though, I think they may find themselves having trouble breaking out from their hipster niche audience. Then again, there are a lot of hipsters in the world (as evidenced in looking at the cramped audience / staff of Monkeytown) and their music is actually good. It's catchy, laid-back rock (fairly perfect for the space at Monkeytown if only there were a better sound system). I really like lead-singer Andrea Estella's voice - it is effortless and pleasant. In fact, I think that's a good way to describe most of their music - simple and enjoyable (again, kinda like Michael Cera). Definitely a band to watch. Oh and you can download their whole EP for free on their website.

No comments: