Thursday, January 21, 2010

Best Coast - "When I'm With You"

I think I'm late to the party on this one -- I started reading about Los Angeles lo-fi duo Best Coast (Bethany Cosentino, formerly of Pocahaunted, and Bobb Bruno) at the end of 2009, when all the blogs were turning out their "artists to watch for" lists. Turns out the pair have written a tune that is the perfect embodiment of itself.

Singer Cosentino starts off "When I'm With You" as languidly as the words suggest: "the world is lazy/but you and me/we're just crazy/so when I'm with you, I have fun" -- turning the familiar image of lazy lovers in a crazy world right on its head -- before the starter pistol goes off and the song turns into glorious, raucous lo-fi pop with rumbling toms, fuzzy guitars and energy bleeding out the edges.

It's a day at the beach with some amazing new someone who makes you want to do things you've never done before. It's the final scene of a teen movie, it'll make you nostalgic for wherever you were in "the good old days," and it's my first obsession of 2010.

Go here to read Best Coast's M.O. in their own words - then let the songs be the final judge.



No comments: