Monday, October 5, 2009

Matt Nathanson

Matt Nathanson is #2 on my list of favorite singer/songwriters, coming in just behind William Fitzsimmons. The same ranking also applies to my favorite singer/songwriter live shows. Hailing from Massachusetts, Matt has been around for quite a while now--releasing his first album in 1993.

I saw him play this past "winter" (winter isn't a very appropriate term for December in Arizona) and couldn't tell if I was watching a comedian or a singer. He is definitely an entertainer and I would recommend his shows to anybody. He has had songs on shows such as NCIS, One Tree Hill, and Scrubs, so I wouldn't be surprised if you've heard him sing and not known it. His 2000 album Some Mad Hope reached #3 on the Independent Albums list and #60 on Billboard.

In addition to his 6 studio albums, he also has a live album called At The Point which has a cover of the Dire Straits song "Romeo and Juliet" and I guess he sings a cover or two at each show because at the one I saw he sang "Take On Me" by a-ha. That whole live album is pretty stellar. On his website he has a radio player so you can check out more of his tracks there.

2 comments:

K. Madsen said...

Love this. Haven't had this much fun at a concert in, ...well, ever.

Keep this up.

K. Madsen said...

Plus, I love that you posted the pre- Some Mad Hope version of "Little Victories." It's not as polished, but that makes it more endearing.