Friday, June 12, 2009

Flashback Friday: We Didn't Start the Fire

In my family, there is a very fine balance between unconditional love and calculated increases in musical street cred.  One of the most effective ways of ratcheting it up a few notches is learning the lyrics to incredibly fast, complicated songs.  And so, as a 12 year old, I learned the lyrics to Billy Joel's We Didn't Start the Fire.  I may have learned the lyrics, but let's make one thing clear:  I had no idea what 98% of the lyrics meant.  I'm inclined to think that my public school education failed me, because I'm still lost on about 62% of the allusions.  The song, much akin to American Pie, is still a family favorite...and really, it's the veritable precursor to white rap artists (eat your heart out, Eminem!).

Also, I think that I should be given bonus points:  We Didn't Start the Fire is a flashback in two ways--1) to my own childhood (and YOURS, too!), and 2) the whole concept of the song is flashing back.  Way to go, Lauren, way to go.

Enjoy, my 90's song minions, enjoy.



No comments: