Thursday, March 26, 2009

Middle Cyclone, Neko Case

My life will never be the same.

Neko Case's new album "Middle Cyclone" dropped March 3rd. If you're new to Neko's music, I beg of you, drop everything and take a listen. This new album is the best yet, hands down.

To be fair, I should let you know that I fell in love with "Middle Cyclone" long before the LP was released. A friend of mine, who has the most amazing music hook-ups ever, forwarded me a making-of video back in December. Watching that video, I knew I was a goner. Neko Case and "Middle Cyclone" took hold of my heart and has yet to let go.

Out of all the amazing components of Neko Case's music, I have to say that my favorite element of "Middle Cyclone" is Neko's open vulnerability. Case in point, in the title track, Middle Cyclone, has a few golden moments of sheer humanity. My heart just about stops in the at minute 2:45 of the song when Neko's voice drops and she almost whispers "...but I choke it back, how much I need love." Lyrically, the song is near perfect.

For those of you who like the more upbeat, this alt-country singer/songwriter has songs for you, as well! Lately, I have been rolling down my windows, cruising at 58 mph (hey, that's fast in a city!) and blaring This Tornado Loves You...it's the perfect song for spring.

No comments: