Thursday, July 10, 2008

Tropic Thunder

Last night I got to see an advanced screening of Tropic Thunder and it was quite funny. It's about actors filming a war movie - kind of a spoof on the disastrous filming of Apocalypse Now and the film industry in general. It has a star-studded cast with Robert Downey Jr., Jack Black, Ben Stiller, Jay Baruchel and Brandon T. Jackson in the lead roles. But even the smaller roles were full of stars. For example, Tom Cruise plays a Hollywood executive (and I have to say he was HILARIOUS. It gave me a whole new respect for him.), Matthew McConaughey plays Ben Stiller's character's agent. And even in the fake trailers in the beginning of the movie is Tobey Maguire playing himself playing a gay priest in the fake movie. And there were star-studded cameos: Alicia Silverstone, Jason Bateman, Lance Bass, just to name a few.

While I'm not much of a fan of Ben Stiller as an actor, I think he did a good job directing this film. I believe it was his directorial debut. The funniest character/actor I have to say was Robert Downey Jr. He plays an Australian actor who dyes his skin black so that he can play a black character in the film. Robert Downey Jr. is just so good. Jack Black was good, though his character was less interesting. Jay Baruchel made for a hilarious straight man, creating emphasis on the others' craziness with his relative normalcy.

All in all, a funny movie. I recommend it. Especially if you work in the film industry.

share this post on de.licio.us / facebook

No comments: