Thursday, August 9, 2007

Theme Thursday - Planets

I guess, when I started theme Thursday two weeks ago, that I should've added that I would love suggestions for themes. So, every week from Thursday to Tuesday, please feel free to leave me comments or send me messages with ideas for themes. I'd like to make this blog as "audience participation" oriented as possible. That's what blogging is all about right? Granted, it's a small audience I have right now, but it's growing every day! So, please leave me comments or ideas!

The theme for this week is planets. I will try to do one song for each planet. And I might do a few extra songs for Earth, since that's the planet we live on and all.


Mercury - Bohemian Rhapsody [mp3] by Queen, from their Greatest Hits Album (iTunes). Because Freddy Mercury is cool, and I have no songs about Mercury on my computer.

Venus - Venus [mp3] by Air, from their album "Talkie Walkie" (iTunes). This song is the reason I chose this theme because this is one of my favorite songs and I have been looking for an excuse to post it. It's so beautiful.

Earth - On the Earth [mp3] by Persephone's Bees, from their album "Notes from the Underworld" (iTunes). This song is an upbeat social commentary song.
- It's The End of the World As We Know It (And I Feel Fine) [mp3] by R.E.M., from their album "Document" (iTunes). Classic. And fun to try to sing along to.
- Mad World [mp3] by Tears for Fears, from their album "Shout - the very best of Tears for Fears" (iTunes). Another classic.

Mars - Polaroids from Mars [mp3] by Tullycraft, from their album "Disenchanted Hearts Unite" (iTunes). I have to be in a very specific mood to listen to Tullycraft and I'm not really in that mood right now, but I will post the song anyway, along with a song I love:
- Down Like Disco (mp3) by The Dandy Warhols, from their album "Odditorium or Warlords of Mars" (iTunes). Yes, I've posted lots of songs by them, but I love them and they have so many fabulous songs. Deal with it.

Jupiter - Jupiter [mp3] by Jewel from her album "Spirit" (iTunes). So I don't even know this song, I'll be honest. But having listened to it just now and heard all the planetary/space references in it, I couldn't justify leaving it out. It's a pretty song I guess (based on my one listen to it...). And it was either that or Drops of Jupiter by Train, which I listened to so much in middle school that I kind of ODed on it, so I can't listen to it very often now.

Saturn - Staring Problem [mp3] by No Doubt from the album "Return of Saturn" (iTunes). Oh No Doubt, how I miss thee. Gwen Stefani is just not quite the same without you.

Uranus - So I can't find a song for Uranus. No surprise there. It's kind of hard to take a planet seriously when it's called "Uranus." The only songs it lends itself to are kind of low-brow humorous songs.

Neptune - Boys [mp3] by Britney Spears from the album Britney (iTunes). This song was produced by The Neptunes (aka Pharrell Williams and Chad Hugo). And let me just throw it out there that I am sincerely hoping for a Britney Spears come back.

Pluto - Sorry, Pluto. You've been demoted. You're no longer a planet, so you don't get a song (plus I can't find one...). The picture even only has 8 planets.

Ok, there you have it folks. Leave me theme ideas for next week!!! Tata dahlings.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Poor pluto...

as for themes, although it may not be exciting, your posting of air reminded me: I'm trying to put together a decent sleep mix. If you know any really great beautiful and chill songs, pass the knowledge on to me!