Saturday, October 8, 2011

Tillers, Appaltin play NKY Loves Mountains

Tonight several Cincinnati area bands performed at the Beer Sellar along the Ohio river in Newport, Ky. On the ticket were the Tillers, Zella Whelms, Appaltin, The Red Cedars, Ma Crow and Hazari. The show, entitled "Northern Kentucky Loves Mountains," was hosted by Kentuckians for the Commonwealth and sought to raise awareness about the dangers of mountaintop removal mining. I'm a member of KFTC, so check them out. Alright, enough about that. Now let's hear about the music!

I really, really enjoyed the sounds of Appaltin. The group hails from Louisville, Ky and plays a fusion of Latin American, South American and folk music. And it sounds absolutely wonderful. Some of the time, I felt as though I should get up and do some salsa dancing. Other times, I felt like I was on some southern porch listening to the sounds of bluegrass and the banjo. Either way, these guys are full of some really genuine talent and I hope they go somewhere with it.

The Tillers were also one of my favorite acts of the evening. They're a fun bluegrass group that got their start playing up on Ludlow Ave. (or Ludlow St. as they refer to it in one of their songs) in Cincinnati. Ludlow is one of my favorite streets in Cincinnati and I feel like I remember a bluegrass trio playing there years ago. The group is also big supporters of the work of KFTC and even put a song on their "Kentucky Loves Mountains" CD. So if you have the chance, definitely check out the Tillers.

No comments: