Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Chaz Kangas


I've known Chaz Kangas since I was 15 or 16 years old, back in good ol' Minnesota. He's always been quite the clever pop culture dispensary - he was always cracking jokes that went right over my head because I very much lack pop culture knowledge - and it's been interesting watching both his tastes and his talents grow and evolve over the last... 10 years (god that makes me feel old). I remember his high school albums - him and his casio. His newest album - A Personal Reference - is, of course, a lot more grown up. And while there are still traces of that casio sound in a few of his songs, his lyrics and rhymes have grown more and more astute and funny with every album. He also has several impressive guest artists. I was very impressed by A Personal Reference (this is coming from someone who doesn't listen to much rap) and I think we will hear better and better things from Chaz in the time to come.

No comments: