Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Clare Maguire


The email I received from Clare Maguire's publicist said "the new Florence and the Machine?" Well, actually, the only thing they really seem to have in common is that they're from the UK. To me, Clare Maguire sounds more like Cher than Florence. She has a deep, belting voice. Her music is very electronica/dance and it has a lot less drama than Florence's music. That being said, I think she has a lot of potential. Her songs are catchy, albeit maybe a little bit sappy/cliche. She has a great voice. And I particularly liked her song "Ain't Nobody," which stood out as lot darker and more dramatic. I think this song demonstrates her potential quite well, and I hope that she goes on to produce more songs along these lines (a little more toward the Florence end of the spectrum and away from the Cher end). I could see her becoming quite popular either way, though, and it does seem that the UK cranks out an awful lot of highly successful female songstresses.

Here's a video of "Ain't Nobody," and you can also download a song or two for free on her website.

No comments: