Thursday, October 22, 2009

Show Recap: Mono, Maserati @ Mohawk [10/17]

First off, there is no better Cosby internet meme than Cosby Bebop. It's impossible to top, even if there were an actual Coz hip-hop album.

Moving on, this might have been the last show in Austin I attend before the move north to Chicago (unless I get myself to see Islands this coming Tuesday. We'll see.) Thankfully, Mohawk is one of my favorite Austin venues, and Mono is the Japanese version of Explosions in the Sky - so by proxy, it was the penultimate Austin experience. (Sort of.) And do I love me my overdriven, epic-sounding instrumental groups. Needless to say: rock was had.
And that same line of reasoning is why Maserati (from Athens, GA) was my favorite act from SXSW 2K9 that I knew nothing about previously, and made this show a perfect post-rock pairing. An instrumental group utilizing frenetic drum loops, pulsating guitar riffs, and lots, lots, lots of delay? Sign me up. Their music belongs alongside side-scrolling, video-game inspired action sequences in tense action films like Oldboy, Run Lola Run and just awesome shit, period...at least in my mind, anyway.

With that said, I'm going to go play Mirror's Edge right now and listen to this band. That'll making jumping from building to building while escaping an overexcited shadow government agency seem exponentially more frantic than it already is - which is pretty fucking frantic.

No comments: