Thursday, October 8, 2009

Mêlée


My experience with Mêlée is mixed: I saw them open up for Amber Pacific in 2006 and came away extremely impressed after the set they put on. Then I listened to their album Everyday Behavior and was a little bit disappointed (just not my thing, my buddy Dan loves it). Once I heard their latest effort Devils & Angels I realized they just might be something special. Front-man Cris Cron brings to mind comparisons of Chris Martin and Billy Joel as he cranks out ballads such as "She's Gonna Find Me Here" and "Can't Hold On."

But they're not content with sticking with the power ballad as they pick up the pace with songs "The War" off of Everyday Behavior and "Stand Up" from D&A. This variety serves them well as they produced a solid album from start to finish.

With powerful vocals backed up by expressive piano and solid hooks, Mêlée is a band that just may break onto the scene if their upcoming album picks up where Devils & Angels left off. Mêlée has been a huge hit already outside of the States so you know they've got the ability, now it's time for America to catch up.

No comments: