Friday, October 9, 2009

The Lovely Feathers and Kittens Ablaze @ Bowery Ballroom

On Wednesday night I had the pleasure of seeing The Lovely Feathers from Montreal and local band Kittens Ablaze open for Rural Alberta Advantage (who I have seen before and unfortunately could not stay for this time around).


The Lovely Feathers were up first, and I've always liked their particular brand of pub rock/pop (you know, the kind of music that gets drunk people shouting along at the top of their lungs). I've had "Lowiza" stuck in my head for days since the show because their songs are damn catchy. They put on a good high energy show, and yet were down-to-earth at the same time with amusing between song banter with the audience. They're a good looking bunch of guys too, and the music seemed more playful live than it does on the album. Definitely worth checking out if they come to your town.
Lowiza [mp3] - (iTunes)


Kittens Ablaze (best band name ever!) put on fabulously rockin' show. Particularly guitar player Nate Senge, who was leaping off of equipment (and over equipment) and generally head-banging a lot. But the whole band was pretty awesome. They were so much fun and they had the whole crowd singing and dancing along, especially to audience faves like "This Machine is Dying," which also happens to be my favorite. Seeing as they're local, I expect all you NYC readers to go check them out.

More pictures here:


The Lovely Feathers & Kittens Ablaze @ Bowery Ballroom

I do have one criticism, but it's not of the band so much as of the audience (warning, rant coming - feel free to skip this part UNLESS you are a friend of a band - any band - and go to lots of their shows): their friends were f**king obnoxious. About one third of the way into their set, a screaming, jumping friend of theirs came a-runnin' up to the stage and quite literally plowed into me while I was trying to take some photos and completely stole my spot after nearly knocking me clean off my feet. He then preceded to knock into or shove in front of at least two other photographers. And for the rest of the show he wouldn't stop jumping and screaming really stupid shit (lots of inside jokes and then just stupid immature drunk stuff). I found it really hard to focus on the band (or hear them over his yelling) when I was worried about getting elbowed in the head by him and his friends who soon joined him. A suggestion to friends of bands: don't ruin the show for other people. Just because you know them and you see them play all the time, doesn't mean everyone else does too, and we might like to hear the band instead of you yelling the whole time. It will help your friends build a bigger fan base if you shut the f**k up. And don't knock over the photographers/journalists who are trying to give your friends free publicity. We're trying to do good things for your friends, so don't interfere. Thanks.

2 comments:

Brett said...

Dear Author,

I'm pretty sure I am the "f**king obnoxious...screaming, jumping friend" that flew from Austin, TX to see KA play at the Bowery Ballroom.

Personally, I don't like concerts where people stand quietly nodding their heads five feet from the stage. Nor do I think that photographers deserve to hog the entire front of the stage. I like to dance unabashedly, hoot, holler and have fun, particularly to music as awesome as KA's.

That said, you are entitled to enjoy good music in your own way and and I am sorry to have made that difficult. I assure you that was not my intent.

So, as a gesture of goodwill, next time you come to a KA show, which I hope is soon, please come and tap this "screaming, jumping" guy on the shoulder. Join me for a dance and I'd be happy to buy you a beer after the show.

All the best,
Brett

Em said...

Dear Brett,

Thanks for the apology and I'm sorry if you feel attacked or anything. I'm impressed that you flew in from TX. And I'm all for dancing and jumping, it's the screaming that gets on my nerves the most (I'm there to hear the band, not you) and the being knocked over. While I also prefer people to do more than stand quietly (dancing is fun), I also don't like it when shows turn into mosh pits - or when one person tries to make it that way by knocking into people - because not everyone likes mosh pits and it's harder for those who don't to ignore mosh pits than it is for those of you who like to jump up and down to ignore people standing quietly to themselves (it's really hard to enjoy the music when I'm trying not be trampled or elbowed in the head).

And as for the whole photographers thing, you're right. We don't deserve to hog the entire front of the stage. But we're just trying to do our jobs and the only way we can get decent pictures is if we do hog the front of the stage. That being said, if you'd like to stand in the front of the stage, take your own advice - tap us on the shoulder and say hello (maybe we'll buy you a beer afterwards too). Don't plow us down or shove your way in front. That's all. No need to be rowdy, we're all there for the love of music.

Love,
The Author