Monday, August 10, 2009

Urban Sun

Last weekend I spent a perfect Saturday evening on a sold out concert cruise on the East River. I was there to see NYC-based funk band Urban Sun, who managed within two sets in that one evening to jettison themselves up into my list of favorite local bands, even though I had only even heard of them a few weeks before.

A large band with two drummers, guitar, bass, a brass section, keyboard, singer, and probably more (I couldn't even see the whole band there were so many of them and the stage wasn't really elevated), they had people dancing all night long to their funk and sometimes disco tunes. They played two long sets - the first was about 10 songs and I lost track of how many songs the second was but I never got bored. I was too busy dancing my butt off! The lead singer, Joe Trombino, looks so unassuming and laid back when he's not on stage, but he has quite the presence and definitely knows how to work an audience. The whole band seems like a really fun group of people. Definitely check them out if you have the opportunity.

No comments: