Thursday, July 23, 2009

God Help The Girl


God Help The Girl is the brainchild of Bell & Sebastian's frontman Stuart Murdoch. Murdoch said, "I was out for a run and I got this tune in my head and it occurred to me that it wasn't a Bell & Sebastian song. I could hear female voices and strings, I could hear the whole thing, but I just couldn't envisage myself singing it with the group." The debut album features the likes of Neil Hannon (Divine Comedy) and the vocals of three different female singers who made it past the audition process, Brittany Stallings, Dina Bankole and Catherine Ireton. The title track below features a more sixties flair with Ireton's vocals, but the album itself exhibits a large compass of genres, from classic pop to 80's indie. Plus, turns out Murdoch is using this as the basis and soundtrack for a movie of the same name, so I highly recommend you check it out.

No comments: