Monday, October 13, 2008

Wallis Bird


Hey kids, long time no see. I'm currently on a road trip traveling through various parts of the country and have found myself without internet connection longer than anticipated, so I apologize for the lack of posts these past few days. To make it up to you, not only do I hope to catch a few artists here and there on the west coast to provide some fab concert reviews, I got a rental car with XM radio and am discovering all sorts of artists I've never heard of before that I can't wait to share with you, like Wallis Bird.

First of all, can I just say that if her name hadn't been as wonderfully memorable as it is, all may have been lost. I was driving on the edge of some really intense twisty cliffs when she came on the radio and didn't dare attempt to take a hand off the wheel to grab a pen to jot down her name, but luckily enough, "Wallis Bird" stuck in my memory banks. Wallis hails from the UK and makes wonderful young indie-pop music with her guitar twinkling in and out with each strum. Her vocals are quirky and strong, and she could easily be compared to Colbie Caillat on a song like "Slow Down" and more of an Ani DiFranco on others, like "Counting to Sleep". I was surprised that I hadn't heard of her before, and if you haven't either, take a listen.

Slow Down [mp3]

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Love Wallis Bird - but just to clarify - she is from Ireland (not UK)