Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Vampire Weekend and Crosby & Nash Are The Change

Sunday I managed to catch most of the Be The Change benefit concert (I missed the beginning of Vampire Weekend because I had to work on a Sunday, blargh). It was a pleasant, intimate, politically-charged show. It's always really nice to see artists speak up about their beliefs.

I should start by saying that I've always thought Vampire Weekend was a little... overrated. I liked them, but I wasn't obsessed the way so many other people seem to be. Seeing them live, well, I still think they're a tad bit overrated. Nothing about their performance struck me as particularly unique or memorable. However, I was pleasantly surprised to find out they are much less pretentious than the majority of their fan base. In fact, they were quite unassuming - especially considering the rather sudden level of stardom they've achieved in only the past year or so - and toward the end I started to kind of understand what all the fuss might be about. They're a bunch of good looking guys who play simple but catchy tunes and seem very down to earth.

Crosby & Nash played next, and while I didn't think I would know any of their music, I was surprised to find out that I did. They played some really nice tunes and many of them rather political, which was fitting for the night. They were also rather unassuming for the legends that they are.

For those of you who couldn't make it to the show but would still like to support the Be The Change project by Music For Democracy, click here to find out what you can do to get involved. This election may well be the most important election in your life time, after all.

Oxford Comma [mp3] - Vampire Weekend (iTunes)
Teach Your Children [mp3] - Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young (iTunes)

share this post on de.licio.us / facebook

No comments: