Thursday, October 16, 2008

Ra Ra Riot @ Soundfix

Tuesday night, Ra Ra Riot did an intimate performance at SoundFix Records to promote their new much-awaited (by me at least) album, "The Rhumb Line." The first time I saw them was at the After The Jump festival in summer of 2007, and boy have they come a long way since then.

One thing I love about Ra Ra Riot is that they always seem like they're having so much fun on stage and they really seem like they get along. I got to SoundFix kind of early and the band was hanging out the whole time before the show, and they always seem to have a good chemistry on stage. I was also pleasantly surprised at the mixing at SoundFix, which wasn't nearly as terrible as I expected it to be for the 6-person band (though I have to say I was disappointed in the nonexistent lighting). Or maybe I was just standing close enough that it didn't matter?

Anyway, "The Rhumb Line" is great and it has all of my favorites that I've heard them perform over the last year and a half. It's a beautiful, poppy, catchy album. Lead singer Wes Miles' smooth vocals blend seamlessly with the rich string instruments as the poppy drum beat pushes each song forward. I think I can say with relative certainty that this will make my favorite albums of 2008 list.


No comments: