Saturday, October 18, 2008

Fireflies

Chicago-based band Fireflies is the moniker of the amazingly talented, one-man project by Lisle Mitnik. I first heard about his music while fishing around on Myspace one day and have been utterly hooked ever since.

Mitnik's collection of songs takes a page right out of the book written by Belle and Sebastian, The Smiths, and the Magnetic Fields before him: sad lyrics about love and longing set to relentlessly happy, breezy pop tunes (arguably the best kind of sad songs around). When I first heard Fireflies I was drawn to a cover of the Talking Heads' "Heaven," which is unfortunately not available on Myspace anymore.

I wish I still lived in New York because I'd love to walk around the city during autumn listening to this band. "Everything's Hidden Away" and "I Was A Brontosaurus" are amazing examples of great indie pop, with just enough space between the chiming acoustic guitars and curt, clean riffs. The beautifully arranged instrumental track "Les Belles Etoiles" sounds like a lost Danny Elfman song; when I hear it I first think of Edward Scissorhands, and very soon after I get a strange nostalgic, contemplative feeling. Give it a listen and you'll see exactly what I mean.

In 2007, Fireflies released a full-length called Goodnight Stars, Goodnight Moon, as well as the Snowstorm EP. If you're a lover of indie-pop, or even if you're just looking to be converted, make your day a little better by checking this music out. You won't regret it.

share this post on de.licio.us / facebook

No comments: