Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Ben Sollee


When I find that someone has made a letter of their grievances against Kanye, have put it to song, and aren't 50 Cent, I'm obviously amused and intrigued. But then I find out that they play the cello and strum it to make a beat as they're singing how Kanye should use his power "to make some real change- not just advertisements at the mall?" Heck yes. I must share.

Ladies and Gentlemen, I give you Ben Sollee. Classically trained for 24 years, this cello-singer-songwriter merges R&B, folk, alternative, and pop styles with a classical flare. In 2007, NPR labeled him as one of the "Top Ten Unknown Artists Of the Year" (sidenote: I'll be posting about #9 tomorrow). Sollee's voice has a lot of flexibility in it, and somehow it compliments his cello perfectly. His songs are upbeat, optimistic, and full of lets-make-the-world-a-better-place lyrics. Give the songs below a listen and I'm sure that you'll be bursting out with random "Dear Kanye"s in just a few days. Oh, and if you feel inspired, feel free to write your own song to a celebrity of your choice (Will Ferrell, Eddie Murphy, Britney Spears, Jamie-Lynn Spears, etc) and leave a copy of it in the comments section!

Dear Kanye [mp3] (itunes unavailable)



P.S. RIP Estelle Getty. Thanks for being a friend.

share this post on de.licio.us / facebook

No comments: