Monday, June 30, 2008

The Hold Steady @ McCarren Park Pool


How fitting that on this Minnesota Monday, I have a Hold Steady concert to write about from yesterday - the first pool party of the season.

First up was Jay Roddy and the Business. Next was The Loved Ones. I didn't love either of them. They both had some good songs and a lot of energy, but I just couldn't get that into them. The Loved Ones aren't really my kind of music I suppose. They're more headbanging rock, which I have to be in a very particular mood to enjoy. And Jay Roddy and the Business were kind of a mixture of various rock styles that I wasn't quite sure what to do with. I don't know if it was that I was distracted by the torrential downpour (hence the lack of pictures, sorry) or that I was tired or that they played really really long sets, but I got kind of impatient toward the end there. I just wanted to see The Hold Steady damnit!

The Hold Steady finally went on around 6pm, and they too played a long set, but since I know their music and since a lot of their songs are about growing up in the Twin Cities, I was much more into it. I love the number of Minnesotans that show up for their concerts wearing Minnesota paraphernalia (mostly Twins stuff) and who cheer whenever there are blatant Twin Cities references. As always, they had a great energy, and seemed like they were having a blast. I love how unpretentious they are. They aren't super suave rockstars. In fact the lead singer is kind of a dork. But he embraces this and lets himself have fun, which is contagious. And hey, I love dorks. I'm a dork. So good times were had. And they played some stuff off their upcoming album, due out July 15th, which was cool.

Your Little Hoodrat Friend [mp3] - "Separation Sunday" (iTunes)

share this post on de.licio.us / facebook

1 comment:

WEB SHERIFF said...

WEB SHERIFF
Protecting Your Rights on the Internet
Tel 44-(0)208-323 8013
Fax 44-(0)208 323 8080
websheriff@websheriff.com
www.websheriff.com

Hi EM,

On behalf of Rough Trade / Beggars Digital, Vagrant and The Hold Steady, many thanks for plugging "Stay Positive" (street date 14th July and advance, digital release date 9th June) ... .. thanks, also, on behalf of the label and the band for not posting any pirate links to unreleased (studio) material and, if your readers want good quality, non-pirated, preview tracks, “Sequestered in Memphis” is available for fans and bloggers to stream / link to / post etc on the band’s MySpace ... .. check-out http://www.myspace.com/theholdsteady and http://www.theholdsteady.com for details on “Stay Positive” and the band’s 2008 shows ... .. for a limited period a play-through of “Stay Positive” shall also be available on the band’s MySpace and on NME (http://www.nme.com), although these are for promotional purposes only and the artist and labels have kindly asked fans and bloggers not to host or link to pirate copies of the full album on-line – for which many thanks in advance.

Thanks again for your plug.

Regards,

WEB SHERIFF