Monday, May 12, 2008

Let Live and Let Ghosts

Saturday night I was supposed to go see Jukebox The Ghost at Mercury Lounge, but was unable to do so, so instead I will write about their debut album, "Let Live and Let Ghosts," which was released April 22nd. I first heard of the Washington DC-based trio when they played at After the Jump last summer. I caught the end of their set, though I couldn't really see anything because they were playing in a small, crowded (and hot) room. But what I heard intrigued me enough to make me investigate them further.

They met in college at George Washington University and were originally called The Sunday Mail. That name didn't serve them very well and I have to say Jukebox the Ghost is a big improvement. I've heard them compared most commonly to Queen and Ben Folds, and I have to say both comparisons are right on. They have that epic-storytelling rock quality of Queen with a hint of Ben Folds' quirky playfulness.

"Let Live and Let Ghosts" is a very solid album and I must say it's probably the best album I've heard this year. The songs - both lyrically and musically - are fun, catchy, and well-written. Everything works together to create a very cohesive album. Picking a favorite track is hard. The song I've known and loved the longest is the opening track, Good Day. But that's followed by the catchy, funny and relatable Hold It In, (which has my favorite lyric on the album: "life is oh my god if I tell him he'll tell her and then she will know I like her"). Other favorites include Under My Skin, Victoria, and Lighting Myself On Fire. Honestly, though, there's not a track on the album that I dislike.

Hold It In [mp3]
Victoria [mp3]

share this post on de.licio.us / facebook

No comments: