Friday, May 9, 2008

Anchorage

Brooklyn quartet Boy Genius released their new album, "Anchorage," last week. Though I was previously unfamiliar with the band, I could very well see them becoming the next indie darlings of the blog-o-sphere. As their laid back yet still stylish look might suggest, they have that slight dissonance that seems to go hand in hand with hipster disinterestedness, all the while keeping your toes tapping and your head bopping. Their music is simple but with a nice blend of various instruments - gotta love their use of brass - and catchy. I can guarantee it will get stuck in your head for hours after you've taken your iPod earbuds out.

If I hadn't already known they're based in Brooklyn, "Anchorage" would leave me to believe that there roots were in the Midwest, with songs like Great Lakes and Lake & Michigan. It also has a much more relaxed, Midwestern feel than a go-go-go feeling of New York City. "Anchorage" is really the perfect album for wandering the city leisurely or driving around on a sunny day - its easy going and it has this groove to it that keeps you hooked in.

As always, my favorite song is the slightly more up-tempo almost-danceable Talk About Love. I would also venture say this is their catchiest tune. That or the slightly darker Fair Weather with a beat that you can't help but sway back and forth to, singing "it's so strange, it's so strange, fair weather is good enough for me."

Talk About Love [mp3]
Fair Weather [mp3]

share this post on de.licio.us / facebook

No comments: