Friday, April 18, 2008

Record Store Day and more

Tomorrow is Record Store Day around the country, where artists will be performing (for FREE)/DJing/selling stuff to support smaller, independent record stores. I'm hitting up SoundFix Records in Williamsburg to see Regina Spektor. And if there's anyone in Lexington, KY reading this, go out to CD Central to see Black Rebel Motorcycle Club and The Duke Spirit. I'm a little bit jealous of that one since the closes BRMC seems to be getting to New York during their tour is rural Pennsylvania and they have spent very little time on the Eastern side of the country in general. Check out the website for the full list of participating artists and stores so go show your support for your local record store (although I have to say their website is really crappily put together - it's not that easy to figure out who's playing where).

On a rather unrelated note, Matt Pond PA is performing a free concert in Central Park tomorrow at 3pm. I'm going to try to get there too after things die down at SoundFix.

One Minnesota band - Tapes 'N' Tapes - that is participating in Record Store day here in New York (at Other Music) is also performing a show tonight at Irving Plaza and a show tomorrow night at Music Hall of Williamsburg with White Denim (from Texas) and Vampire Hands (also from Minneapolis).

Apparently there's a silent rave in Union Square tonight? Bring your headphones and get your groove thing on to the music of your choice. It starts at 6:17pm (not sure why they chose that time). It's on my way home from work so I think I will at least stop by and check it out. I read a (fictional) book where one of the characters tried to do this as an "art installation." In the book it failed miserably. But 6000 some people have RSVPed on facebook, so this event may actually turn out.

One last little side note - I'm sorry I've been rather neglectful in updating as of late. I had to play catch up when I got back from London, and work is getting busier and busier. I'm thinking of adding another writer or two to this blog though, so that I don't have the sole responsibility of updating. More on that later.

share this post on de.licio.us / facebook

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

me! me! ooh, let ME post!!!

Anonymous said...

They appear to be running that Record Store Day website off of a dial-up connection.