Thursday, July 26, 2007

Theme Thursday - Dreams

So I'm going to start something I am going to call Theme Thursdays - an idea I will admit that I kind of stole from the University of Minnesota Radio Station, Radio K. So Theme Thursday is going to work as follows: I'm going to pick a word or a concept and find three songs (or so) that relate somehow - either by title, artist or album.

Today's theme (we're going to start off with an easy one) is Dreams. And I think I'm going to try to hit up a few different decades for this one.

So first we have the 80s classic Sweet Dreams (Are Made of This) (mp3) by the Eurythmics (iTunes). This song like, IS my childhood and I still love it to this day.

Next we have the 90s hit Dreams (mp3) by The Cranberries (iTunes). Man, some great music came out of the 90s. In fact, we're going to do three 90s songs, because Dreamlover (mp3) by Mariah Carey (iTunes) is another great one. And to represent the later 90s, With You in Your Dreams (mp3) by Hanson (iTunes). Not gonna lie - I didn't appreciate Hanson in the 90s, but I do now. Especially after everything they went through to get their newest album released (I got to see the documentary, Strong Enough to Break, about it and meet them. They gave everyone free CDs and autographed them. Way cool.) Yes, they are indeed Indie now. They left their label. Go Hanson. In fact, the just released a new CD, "The Walk," two days ago. It's pretty good. I think I liked "Underneath" better though.

I kind of want to put up a song by the short-lived girl band Dream, but I will resist... I'm not going to sink that low today. But their songs were pretty hilarious.

And now for this decade, Fever Dream (mp3) by Iron & Wine (iTunes), and Dreams (mp3) by TV on the Radio (iTunes) - who I sadly don't get to see for free on Sunday at McCarren Park Pool because I am going to be in Connecticut... boo...

And let's do one foreign song, since it's such an easy theme: Dreams Come True (mp3), by Korean group SES (iTunes unavailable). And yes, this is the Korean version (though some parts are still in English). I don't like the English version because my favorite part of this song is the rap part toward the end, which was excluded from the English version. It reminds me of Alvin and the Chipmunks. Listen to it. You'll understand.

Ok, happy Theme Thursday! Sorry if I'm a little flaky about posting over the next few days. I've got some craziness coming up. But I will do my best to keep the posts coming. Tata dahlings.

No comments: