Wednesday, July 18, 2007

Brain freeze

So, I'm sitting here at work, and I can't think of a single song or artist I want to write about. I don't know what's wrong with me today. I guess, instead, I will write about film for this post - since that is my career goal and all.

So most of the movies I've seen this summer have been at the Bryant Park Summer Film Festival. It's fun. The first week I went was terrible because we were way too far back and couldn't hear anything and it was so crowded. The movie was Annie Hall. I'm sure it's a great movie but I couldn't hear a word of what was going on, so basically, I still haven't seen it. Since then though, I've been going with a group that gets there early enough for us to actually hear the movie, and so far I've been very impressed with the movies they've played.

The second time I went, the movie was Paper Moon. It is so badass. It was made in 1973 and Tatum O'Neal won an Oscar for Best Supporting Actress at the age of 10, making her the youngest person ever to win an Oscar in a competitive category (Shirley Temple got an honorary Oscar at the age of 6). Personally I don't really understand why it was a supporting actress award because she was basically the main character, along with the guy in it (played by her father). Maybe just because she was so young. But she made that movie. The movie is about this orphaned girl during the depression who is supposed to go to Missouri to live with her aunt, but the guy who is supposed to bring her is a con-artist (and possibly her father, though he never admits to it in the film) and she blackmails him and then ends up working with him to con people and even being a better con artist than him. She was just like this crazy cool 9-year-old. Although it did terrify me that she smoked in the movie. But she was just so in control of every situation and didn't listen to any adults, and yet she had a kind heart and wanted to help people less fortunate than her too. Coolest 9-year-old around. I totally understand why she won an Oscar for that role. I definitely recommend this film.

Next came Wait Until Dark, starring Audrey Hepburn who plays another badass female character - ans awesome blind lady who is being terrorized by three con artists but figures them out and takes them down singlehandedly. While some parts at the beginning of it dragged or were hard to follow, the end just gets more and more intense. My favorite part... or well, I'm not going to reveal my favorite part, but let's just say that everyone in the entire park screamed. It was pretty funny actually (the scream, not the movie). Overall, the movie was pleasantly intricate - everyone is plotting against everyone, and after the beginning it stops being so hard to follow.




This past week was To Sir, With Love, starring Sidney Poitier. His character is pretty badass too, come to think of it. He plays a (black) teacher who starts his first teaching job at a school full of ghetto kids in the UK. He pretty much just whips them into shape, when no other teacher can. As racially forward-thinking as the movie is though, it was certainly not very forward-thinking when it came to women. I mean, I know it was made in 1967, but I thought feminism had made more strides by then. The movie implied on many occasions (or even basically outright stated) that all women can think about is guys and getting married. And it was all "let's teach you how to cook - even you men, because you won't necessarily always have a woman to cook for you." Huh? Overall an enjoyable movie, but I mean, come on. We women have more on our mind than men and finding a suitable husband.



Last night I saw (not at the Bryant Park Film Festival) Say Anything, starring a very young John Cusack. Yay for classic '80s teen flicks. It was lovely and romantic and cheesy as all hell, but I enjoyed every minute of it. Or well, except for the scene where Lili Taylor and her ex boyfriend meet by the fridge. That whole conversation just seemed so unnatural to me. And the girl who played Diane Court had a slight lisp, which bugged the hell out of me. If you're going to be an actor, you have to get rid of any speech impediments. I'm sorry, but it's true. Speaking as a hopeful future director, you are limiting yourself by not fixing it. It's not like it's something that requires surgery or anything, just practice. Anyway though, the movie was cute. It made me feel all warm and fuzzy inside. And then, like all good romantic comedies, it made me depressed because I don't have someone who would follow me to England. Haha.

Ok, that's all for now. Sorry for the lack of music. My mind is just not really working so well today. I promise there will be music tomorrow. Tata dahlings.

share this post on de.licio.us / facebook

No comments: