Sunday, June 26, 2011

Silverdocs - Miss Representation

Miss Representation is another incredibly important documentary I've seen at Silverdocs that I think everyone needs to see, both women and men. It's about gender inequality with, specifically focused on how women are portrayed in the media and how that effects our participation in society (often negatively). I thought it was well done because I think that men can watch it and hopefully see things from our perspective, without feeling like the film is hating on men, which I know is one thing that can turn guys away from feminist messaging.

They interview an impressive list of female role models in the film, and provide interesting statistics and examples. Some of the statistics are actually sort of staggering - I knew it was bad but I didn't realize it was that bad, or I especially didn't realize that in many arenas, women's participation is declining nowadays when it should be going up. All-in-all I'd say it was a very well-done film, and really its message is just such an important message for men and women, girls and boys to hear.

No comments: