Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Anni Rossi covers Rihanna's "Rude Boy"


I love it when quirky indie artists cover ridiculous pop songs. Anya Marina's cover of TI's "Whatever You Like" and one of the most starkly different cover's I've ever heard is Pattern Is Movement's cover of Beyonce's "Crazy In Love." I guess I expected the difference between Anni's version and Rihanna's version to be almost as stark as that one. Or at least more stark than it is. Anni sounds down right poppy, it's just a stripped-down, basically acoustic version without the plethora of electronic sounds and in a different key. And then there's that whole Anni sounds a little more... innocent... than Rihanna does singing lyrics like "tonight I'ma turn yo body on. Relax, let me do it how I wanna... Buckle up, I'ma give it to ya stronger. Hands up, we can go a little longer." etc. Maybe it's her gentler voice and the plucky instruments, but I found it not as convincing as I would've liked. Anyway, it's worth a listen. A catchy song and Anni does a decent job for being a quirky, white, indie artist from Minnesota who plays the viola. At the very least, it's kind of ironic, and what hipster doesn't love that?

Rude Boy [mp3]

No comments: