Thursday, June 3, 2010

Dirty Projectors cover Dylan


Today New York Magazine released Dirty Projector's cover of Dylan's lesser-known ballad "I Dreamed I Saw St. Augustine," as a part of Levi's Pioneer Sessions: The Revival Recordings. Yes, Levi's jeans has been slowly building a niche in the music scene and I'm not sure how I feel about this. The record matches an eclectic mix of solid artists doing covers of oldies but goodies. Starting with the debut of the album last week, Levis will be releasing 2 songs off the album weekly through July 1st. Other features include Nas' interpretation of Slick Rick, She & Him doing Rick Nelson, and The Swell Season covering Candi Staton (the last of which is an amusing attempt of a white folk singer taking on a disco great).

DP's cover falls a little flat of the original. I'm wanting to hear more of the grittiness that we love from Dylan (or the strong, twangy female vocals that we get with my favorite version by Joan Baez). Simply put, the cover is less soulfoul. Still, what attracts me to DP is that they push themselves to invent and reinvent, much like Dylan.


As per request, you can download The Dirty Projectors cover and other songs

No comments: