Monday, April 19, 2010

2010 Progress Report - The Morning Benders, "Excuses"

Over the next couple weeks I'm going to be highlighting some of my top singles of the year, sort of a 2010 progress report card.

Today's pick comes from Berkeley, CA's The Morning Benders, who just released their sophomore effort Big Echo back in March. The track "Excuses" is the only one that's really stuck with me so far, but it's stuck with me in a big way. Chris Chu's soaring lead melody shows off his vocal chops, and I love the epic strings and rolling drums, and the vocal breakdown that comes halfway through the song.

When I saw them at the Troubadour a few weeks ago an overzealous fan came in some beats too early on the "da-da-da-da-da-da-dum"s, but it only highlighted the communal catharsis that this song brings. To me it was always about losing someone you were in love with but would never stop loving; if you watch the very short interview with Chu at the beginning of the video you'll hear his actual intentions.

To get the full effect:

1) download and listen to the song first
2) then check out the video, which is the band's Yours Truly session performance of "Excuses" with an army of their musician friends up north, including Chris Owens of Girls and John Vanderslice.



No comments: