Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Hub Bub Show

So Friday night I got to go to Hub Bub in Spartanburg, SC for the 3rd time and I have to say I love this place. Hub Bub is a non profit venue which seeks to bring art and culture to a city that has been sorely lacking it. Check them out at Hub-Bub.com

I went to see Stephanie's id and Heypenny. Both bands have managed to generate a good bit of buzz, but based on the write ups and Myspace pages I was much more excited about Heypenny.

These guys did not disappoint. The started the set in bright raincoats and moved on to homemade robot costumes. The music was instantly catchy and I had to put my camera down for a bit and do some serious dancing. Sadly most of the crowd was too cool to dance but everyone still seemed to be having a good time. I'm hoping you readers are not too cool to dance and can enjoy these guys in your car or bopping along on the subway.

Like I said before I really was not too sure what to expect from Stephaniesid. They have been getting a lot of good press over the past year with an appearance on The World Cafe as well as playing to a big crowd at Bonnaroo. However, when I listed to a few songs on Myspace I wasn't really won over. Let me say right now they deserve every bit of praise that has come their way. Stephanie herself has one of the best stage presence that I have seen in a long time. Her and the band moved seamlessly from electronic pop to rock. Then she did a few solo numbers and a duet with her friend Jar-e from the Asheville music scene who I hope to check out soon. I definitely recommend giving the album a few listens to really fall in love and if you are anywhere near Asheville come check out the free show at UNCA on February 6th.

Cop Car [mp3] - Heypenny (iTunes)

Bullet Train [mp3] - Stephaniesid (iTunes)

No comments: