Monday, November 9, 2009

Jones Street Station @ Mercury Lounge


Friday night I was one of many at the packed Jones Street Station show at Mercury Lounge. The Brooklyn country-rock group played a great set to a very enthusiastic and ecclectic audience. They're a really good-looking bunch of guys who share the mic/spotlight better than just about any other band I've seen (I do believe at least 3 of them sing lead on various songs) and make fantastic use of the harmonica (Jonathan Hull literally had a utility belt full of different harmonicas). Plus their music is really darn catchy. I left the show with their song Slow Lights stuck in my head and haven't been able to get it out ever since. They ended the night with a really pleasant, totally unplugged, slightly melancholy song that doesn't appear to be on their album about cutting your hair, putting on a suit and "going to work in tall buildings." I think that was one of my favorites too, although I have to say that the surprising number of people in the audience wearing suits may not have appreciated as much (or maybe they appreciated it more... who knows!).

I hung out with them after the show and they're also just really incredibly nice and friendly guys. And the drummer is from Minneapolis, so that was fun to reminisce about our home city together. Definitely check them out if you have a chance - and party with them afterwards if you can!

Slow Lights [mp3] - (iTunes)

No comments: