Saturday, October 31, 2009

A Fine Frenzy @ Gramercy Theatre


I have to admit, I kind of thought A Fine Frenzy was overrated. I liked her and all, but I felt like I know so many people who are head-over-heels in love with her and I just didn't get the obsession.

On Wednesday night though, all that changed. I went to see her perform at the Gramercy Theatre and consider me converted. A Fine Frenzy (aka Alison Sudol) is a spectacular performer. First off, I felt like her voice was so much more dynamic and powerful than it sounds on her albums (not that she sounds bad on her albums, but there I just thought she had more strength and richness to her voice live). She's also a very dynamic performer - full of expression (hence I took something like 58 pictures during her set). I never thought comparisons to Regina Spektor were all that apt before, but at least in terms of performing I can see it now. The red hair, her adorable smile, the fullness of her emotion (I seriously thought she was going to start crying during some of those heartfelt ballads), her humble air (she seemed to grateful to be there and so giddy from the sizeable audience's applause). She's the whole package - humble yet diva-esque, cute and sexy, and the girl is a pretty good dancer too. She shook it on several occasions.


I think my favorite part of the show was when she covered Blondie's "Heart of Glass." That was the first time we got to see a glimpse of her sexy side (though it came out many times during the rest of the show) and she just seemed like she was having so much fun, as did the audience. And of course there were all her crowd favorites like Almost Lover (there were some really adorable audience-singing-along moments during that one), The Minnow & The Trout (not a good song for Creationists but a favorite for heathens like me), You Picked Me, etc. It was definitely one of the best concerts I've been to all year and I definitely recommend you go see her if you have the opportunity. She's still has lots of tour dates left (see below). And here's some more pictures:

A Fine Frenzy @ The Gramercy Theatre

11/02/2009 - Paradise Rock Club - Boston, MA
11/04/2009 - Park West - Chicago, IL
11/05/2009 - Fine Line Music Cafe - Minneapolis, MN
11/09/2009 - Neumos Crystal Ball Reading Room - Seattle, WA
11/10/2009 - Wonder Ballroom - Portland, OR
11/12/2009 - Great American Music Hall - San Francisco, CA
11/13/2009 - The Boardwalk - Orangevale, CA
11/15/2009 - Martini Ranch - Scottsdale, AZ
11/17/2009 - El Rey Theatre - Los Angeles, CA
11/18/2009 - House of Blues Anaheim - Anaheim, CA

Oh, and I should probably mention that Landon Pigg was one of the openers, but I only caught the tale end of his set, so I don't feel I can really write much about it. I liked the number about Roller Derby (which I'm guessing was written because of his acting debut in Whip It). And I'd like to praise the Gramercy Theatre - it's a really nice venue and one of the few places I've been in the city who actually thinks lighting is an important part of the show (something we photographers very much appreciate).

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love her, she's talented, and red headed.