Friday, September 25, 2009

International Finds: Bridezilla


In addition to amazing band names, I’m always a big fan when orchestral instruments are used in contemporary music, and particularly rock music. So you can imagine that I am a big fan of Australian band Bridezilla’s debut EP, which I would venture to describe as a bit like Ra Ra Riot meets a (slightly less angry and bitter) Fiona Apple but less polished. The EP starts out with my favorite track, the catchy “Brown Paper Bag,” then moves to the slightly edgier, “St. Francine” which I also really like, but from there the EP slows down quite a bit with “Forbidden.” The forth song, “Chainwork” is quite dramatic and pretty and reminiscent of the Tori Amos I knew and loved in my adolescence (who sadly no longer exists), and the EP finishes up with the instrumental-only “Mr. Young.”

All in all I’d say it’s a solid debut, and we could be seeing great things to come from them in the future. And I should add that most (or all) of the band members are only 18 years old (they started performing together when they were 16 I think). The EP recently came out in the US, and they have an LP due to hit the states early next year.

1 comment:

Pix said...

like what you wrote about bridezilla

i posted an mp3 from bridezilla's album coming out in november

rather than shamelessly plug my blog, ill just giv u the zshare link http://www.zshare.net/audio/65494715aabf924f/

p.s i am not a bridezilla street teamer lol