Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Emilie Simon @ Le Poisson Rouge

Last night I caught Emilie Simon at Le Poisson Rouge. The French singer is currently living in New York and has just finished recording an album here (no word on when exactly it's due out from my understanding though). She arrived looking like she had come straight off a Paris runway in the era of Jetsons - with big feathery plumage, a shiny (leather?) dress, and some crazy contraption on her left arm that I never got a good look at (I was trying to tell if she was using it during her songs for something musically-related but I wasn't at a good angle for that).

Her dark electro-pop is quite infectious and I have to say I was sad that LPR had set up the chairs and tables because I was definitely in the mood to dance. Simon is adorable and she demonstrated her abilities to use both modern technology and old school accoustic instruments to play great music. And it's always fun to hear multi-lingual singers perform. I have to say, it's fitting that she was performing at Le Poisson Rouge. She has a couple more performances this summer on the East and West coasts, so check her out if you have a chance:

6/17 - Public Assembly, Brooklyn
6/29 - Doug Fir Lounge, Portland OR
6/30 - The Crocodile, Seattle WA
7/3 - The Levitt Pavillion for the Performing Arts, Pasadena CA 7/23 - Highline Ballroom, NYC


No comments: