Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Drug Rug


Drug Rug's upcoming album, "Paint The Invisible Fence" (due out in August), is poppy and catchy (unlike the band's rather unfortunate name - in my personal opinion) and I can't stop listening to it. To be honest, at first, I kind of dismissed Drug Rug. I had only heard one song, but it was too underproduced for my personal tastes. I realize this is a "sound" that many bands are purposefully utilizing right now (ie The Pains of Being Pure at Heart), but it's something that I don't particularly like as I think there is no excuse for sounding like you recorded in a garage in the 1970s. What with the low prices of decent recording equipment these days, it is not that hard to sound good, and I personally like to be able to hear all of the instruments and understand the lyrics.

But even though I had dismissed Drug Rug on first listen, something inspired me to download their full album when I received it in my inbox and I can't stop listening to it. I love the classic rock 'n' roll beats that drive it, the poppy guitars that make my head bop, the retro-sounding male-female vocal harmonies. There's rock, pop, and hints of country, blues, and retro in there. This is definitely a great summer album (a shame it's not coming out until August), perfect for driving down the highway on a sunny day with the wind in your hair. Here's a track to enjoy in the meantime:

No comments: