Sunday, May 3, 2009

The Hard Lessons @ Union Hall + New Album!

Friday night I went out in the ridiculously gross weather to see the last night of The Hard Lessons' residency at Union Hall (disclaimer: this photo isn't mine. I got it off their website, but didn't see a photo credit anywhere). This was also the first time I've seen them perform with their new drummer, Ryan Vee, and since Auggie and Koko got married (that makes me feel old...). They redecorated a lot of their equipment with screenprints of themselves that say "husband" and "wife" on them, which is cute.

As always, it was a great show with lots of energy. The set felt incredibly short to me for some reason, probably because they're such engaging performers (and just in general cool people). Although I do have to say that they didn't play hardly any of my old favorites (or even semi-new favorites...), which made me kind of sad. But they played a few new songs, including "Wedding Ring," which was featured on Grey's Anatomy the night before. Their new album, Arms Forest, comes out this month and it is full of solid tunes guaranteed to have you singing/shouting along and rocking out. My favorite track is probably the title track, "Arms Forest" but it's definitely a great album overall. One of my favorites so far this year. And it's neat to be able to see how far they've come since I first saw them at The Creek and the Cave almost 2 years ago.

No comments: