Thursday, September 4, 2008

Parenthetical Girls

Parenthetical Girls are an Oregon-based band who are coming out with their 3rd album next week, entitled "Entanglements." It's quirky and theatrical, classical and experimental, and I can't help but love it. My favorite track is the brassy, syncopated A Song For Ellie Greenwich, but the whole album is full of playful vaudevillian goodness with a plethora of instruments and tracks, and Zac Pennington's airy, quivery and haunting - albeit a little gender-ambiguous - vocals compliment the veritable orchestra well. His vocals portray a nostalgia and fondness for musical eras past that the music embodies - as if you're listening to his voice on a record instead of a CD or mp3 - yet the overall album style is experimental, which adds a modern twist to the album. And, I have to say, it is definitely a unique sound they end up with. I cannot come across a band in my mind to compare them to.

No comments: