Sunday, September 23, 2007

A Brief Smile

A Brief Smile came out with a new full-length album not too long ago, "Now We All Have Horns." It might technically count as their first full-length since their last album only had 7 songs on it. While I guess it technically hasn't officially been released yet - if you pre-order it, it will ship October 2nd - you can stream it in its entirity on their website. You can also download three of the songs for free. First, let me start out by saying that I love the album artwork. The vibrant colors are simply gorgeous. I realize that's probably a weird thing to comment on, but I do think it's quite striking and it would definitely stop my in my tracks if I saw it in a store. As for the music, I think they could do something to set themselves apart more from other indie rock bands on the scene right now. However, that being said, I liked the album overall and three tracks really stood out to me.

The first track that stood out to me is track 5, the melancholy Tairs In the Cloth. This is lovely, simple, beautiful song and I think it is filled with a lot of emotion.

Next came track 6, the much darker 2005. This song seemed different from the rest of their stuff to me. More hard rock and I want to say it has a fuller sound. And I think it's relatable - "when you say you will, do you mean it? ... Why is it so hard to believe it?"

The third track, which I think is my favorite, is track 9, The Sky Will Crack. I love the rhythms and I think this song is quite catchy.

Unfortunately the three tracks that you can download for free on their website are not any of these three, so you will just have to listen to them streaming. But here are the ones you can get from their website:

No comments: