Wednesday, July 11, 2007

Music that "Pierces" my heart

I just found out that one of my favorite bands of the moment, The Pierces, are opening a show for Suzanne Vega tomorrow at the Highline Ballroom. I'm debating whether or not to go, as it costs $30, I am broke, and since they're the opener they may not play that many songs.


The Pierces are two sisters from Alabama, Catherine and Allison. I would try to describe their musical style, but I couldn't do it better than they did on their myspace so I will simply copy and paste: "like a fever induced, gypsy dream that you have after drinking too much red wine while listening to a cabaret singer in a southern speakeasy that is run by witches." Seriously, i don't think it could be said any better.


From the sounds of it, they had some management/production troubles, got lost in the shuffle of their label and didn't really get to make the music they wanted to make on their previous albums (I believe they referred to this period in time as "selling their souls"). Now they have found a better producer who lets them do what they want musically, and I must say I approve of the changes.

While I was really not impressed with any of their older albums, their newest album, "Thirteen Tales of Love and Revenge," which came out in March this year (2007), is one of the best albums I've heard all year. It's one of those great albums where every song sounds so different. The amazing thing is that despite the different tone of every song, the girls manage to make their voices basically indistinguishable from each other no matter what sound they're going for.

I first discovered The Pierces while listening to The Current. They played the sultry but funny "Lights On," a song that starts out "some people say that I want you for your money but I really want you for your body" (to give you an idea about what the song is about). This is definitely one of my faves, though as I've said, I pretty much love the whole album. Two of the songs from their album that I think epitomize their "gypsy/wine/southern speakeasy/witch" sound are "Sticks and Stones," a song that even has witchcraft references in the lyrics, and "Secret," an exceedingly dizzying song about not trusting others to keep your secrets.

Other favorites include the downright danceable tune "Lies," which I would almost dare to say has a small hint of reggaeton influence in the beat (if I'm totally wrong I apologize, as I don't know reggaeton very well except for the bass beat I hear pumping out of people's cars as they drive by) and two banjo-laced songs: "Kill! Kill! Kill!" a song about not getting over your ex, which I can totally relate to as I'm sure a lot of you can too, and "Turn on Billie," a song that I'm not quite sure what it's about (I think there's even a line in the song that says "you can't recall what this song is about"). Haha, wow, so that's almost every song on the album.

Now, for your enjoyment, the "Boring" music video ("Boring" is yet another great gipsy/wine/witch song about, well, boredom. I would like to dedicate this to Paris Hilton, Britney Spears and Lindsay Lohan):


The hipsters up against the brick wall kind of reminds me of Misshapes...

And a few of my faves for you to sample (let's see if I can get this to work...):


Ok, that's all for now. Hopefully those links work. I'm at work and this computer is stupid so I can't test them. Assuming it doesn't rain, I'm going to go see Spoon perform for free at Rockefeller Park after work. That should be fun. Tata dahlngs.

share this post on de.licio.us / facebook

No comments: